Brief History of the end of Cowgate

The following piece was written early 1970s so much of what it describes no longer exists:

The End of Cowgate

From the western side of the Crescent roundabout the pattern of the roads of sixty years ago can still be seen.

Ahead is the end of Cowgate where the level crossing of the railway divided it from Thorpe Road and to the right is the entrance to Station Road and St Leonard’s Street which were there only separated by a strip of pavement and a row of bollards. To the left is the entrance to the railway yard which then housed the Goods Station and the Coal Depot.

The level crossing had two sets of gates with sufficient room between them for a horse and vehicle. It was similar to the crossing at Walton before the recent alterations but on the right hand side was the entrance to the Subway which had been built in response to public demand for a bridge after a pedestrian had been killed at the crossing in 1884. The bridge which swept all of them away was opened in 1912 and took it’s name from the crescent of houses on the site of W. H. Smiths on the Thorpe Road side which was pulled down at the same time.

The present railway offices occupy the old Peterborough Hotel, the licence of which was at the same time transferred to the newly erected George Hotel further along St Leonard’s Street. Local gossip declared the new hotel took it’s name from the landlord of the old one – George Catlin – who was a well known and respected citizen.

1970s_cowgate

End of Cowgate, early 1970s

January 29, 2015 · Nik_W · No Comments
Tags: , , , , , ,  · Posted in: Town Centre

Leave a Reply